14 May 2011

Portobello Burgers with Grilled Onions and Creamy Chipotle Dressing

This is part one of my summer vegetarian grilling series, and part two of my Fab with Five Saucy Mama recipes.  If you haven't yet entered to win the gift pack from Saucy Mama, be sure to leave a comment after this linked post to enter to win.  Deadline is next Saturday!  Now on to those burgers...


Don't those look great?  They were fantastic--a burger dream.  To make these, I got four nice portobello caps and removed the stems and brushed them off.  Some people like to scoop out the gills, but I like the earthy flavor so I left them.  I then peeled a couple of medium white onions and cut them into thick slices--if you are not as crazy about grilled onions as we are, you could use just one onion.  Your call.  I placed these in a large container and tossed them with a full bottle of Saucy Mama Santa Fe Creamy Chipotle Dressing.  Let them soak up the sauce for a half an hour or so.


Prep your outdoor grill with a medium-high heat, and if you have one, use a vegetable grilling pan for the onions--that will save the task of fishing out onion rings as they inevitably drop through the grill.  Place the mushrooms and onions on the hot grill and save the excess marinade--no meat here, so this is perfectly safe.  Grill until the mushrooms have a nice char and have softened up, and the onions are nice and caramelized.


During the last couple of minutes of grilling, flip the mushroom caps over so the gill sides are facing up and place a slice of havarti cheese on each cap to let it melt in (optional but recommended).  Split and toast some hamburger rolls (I used whole wheat ciabatta rolls for these) until toasty brown.  Dunk your caramelized onions back into the reserved marinade for an extra-sloppy, extra tasty burger, and assemble and devour.  These should be eaten outdoors with lots of napkins and a nice cold glass of beer or lemonade.  Maybe some grilled sweet potato wedges.  Watermelon.  You get the picture.


More veggie grilling recipes coming soon.  Thanks for reading!

-Angela FRS

Labels: , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At May 14, 2011 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Patricia Stoltey said...

You have no idea how much I love portobello sandwiches of any kind, This one looks awesome.

And if you're the Angela who has been sending followers to my blog (and I know you are), thank you so much.

 
At May 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM , Blogger Jersey Girl Cooks said...

These look sooo good! I love any type of mushroom. See you in a few days!

 
At May 14, 2011 at 11:11 PM , Blogger Karen Harris said...

Ahhh, summer grillin' heaven. These looks wonderfully juicy and a little bit sloppy, just like a good burger should be. I love the extra onions myself.

 
At May 15, 2011 at 1:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful. It's 3:24am here and I am drooling all over my pajama shirt. Love ya girl...I'm off to raid the fridge. Barb

 
At May 16, 2011 at 5:19 AM , Anonymous Jill@MadAboutMacarons said...

Thtat sure is a burger dream: I also love the sound of that creamy chipotle sauce.

 
At June 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM , Blogger Shawn said...

Congratulations on your Saucy Mama win! I'll definitely be trying this recipe :)

 
At June 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM , Blogger Angela FRS said...

Thank you Shawn!

 
At August 14, 2011 at 4:52 PM , Anonymous marla {family fresh cooking} said...

Wish we had these burgers for dinner tonight! Love those grilled onions :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home